Sunday, January 30, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life/ Bryan Lee O'Malley

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, 168 pages, graphic novel, action, humor

My mom always tells me that an important rule to live by is that anything I wouldn't do when I'm sober, I should probably steer clear of when I've been drinking as well. Well mom, if you're reading this, I am pleased to tell you that you're wrong. After playing a drinking game to Edgar Wright's brilliant film adaptation of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel franchise (you drink every time someone references the numbers 1-7, anytime someone says "ex" or "exes", and every time there's a video game reference), I had an argument with my friends about reading the books. Being the pretentious book-snob that I am (I believe it comes with being an English major), I have always firmly believed that graphic novels weren't books at all. I believed that adult nerds wanted an excuse to be able to read comic books without being socially rebuked and thus the graphic novel was born. I expressed this opinion and was met with painfully cliche "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" opposition. Suddenly this argument changed from an attack on Scott Pilgrim and the graphic novel to an attack on me. If I was this fancy-schmansy student of the written word, why hadn't I ever bothered to pick up a graphic novel before? Not wanting to have my literary cajones demeaned any further and being 12 beers to the wind, I decided to do what many would do in a similar situation and ran to the nearest computer to request the first Scott Pilgrim volume online.

One hangover and a greasy breakfast later, I was beginning my Sunday shift at the circ desk when I noticed that the book had already been put on hold for me (kudos to the Sunday shelving staff...now that's what I call swift service). I debated putting the book back on the shelf. My friends weren't around to judge me and I could pretty well count on the convenient memory-distorting qualities of alcohol to ensure that my dignity could remain intact if I didn't want to read the book. Instead, something inside me decided to give it a shot. Now, a mere 2 hours after my shift ended today, I have finished the first volume and I am HOOKED.

O'Malley's drawing style may seem simple and almost childish at first. This was the first characteristic of the book I noticed, because I always assumed that graphic novels were just a series of incredibly detailed and elaborate frames loosely clinging together with a weak story. O'Malley's simple style acts merely as the medium for telling the hilariously gripping tale of Scott Pilgrim, an ordinary 23-year old Canadian bassist whose life is turned upside down when he falls for the mysterious Ramona Flowers. Enamored with Flowers, Scott must endure the Herculean trial of defeating Ramona's Seven Evil Ex-Boyfriends in order to win her affection. While this may seem lame on its own, throw in plenty of pop-culture and nerd-culture references and some kick ass comic book violence and you've got one heck of a read. Hopefully by the time someone's read this, I will be nose-deep in volume two. If you haven't read them, take my advice and don't be a snob like me...while Scott Pilgrim certainly won't become a literary heavyweight like Crime and Punishment, it is certainly a crime not to at least give this series a try, and the punishment is that you're missing out on a truly awe-inspiring story.

No comments:

Post a Comment