Saturday, January 29, 2011

Library Wars: Love and War, v.3/Kiiro Yumi

Library Wars: Love and War, volume 3, by Kiiro Yumi and Hiro Arikawa; manga, romance; 200 pages

I wasn't that impressed with the last volume of this series, but I gave this another shot, mostly because I'm still enjoying the library love. This is the story of Iku, a member of the Library Defense Force--a paramilitary organization that fights for protect libraries from the strict censorship of the government. This volume takes a more serious turn than the others, and ends on a dark, "to be continued" note, which caught me off guard. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The story opens with our heroine, Iku, being her normal, klutzy self, and her supervisor on the Library Defense Force berating her. The first few chapters here are the same light, breezy fare as the previous volumes: lots of romantic tension between Iku and Dojo, some more background on the characters, and some humorous mix-ups. The story turns about halfway through, when the troops are called out to defend a museum's manuscript collection from being confiscated by the government. The second half of the book is more of a war novel, and as I said, the ending is wide open. If this is setting the tone for the next volume, I guess we can expect something darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment