Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry 179 pp.

I must be the only one of this group not watching football on New Year's Day. Instead I spent it re-reading the Newbery Award winning dystopian novel of a society that on the surface seems comfortable and satisfying but is actually colorless and emotionless. Twelve year old Jonas is selected to be "The Receiver" who will end up holding all the memories of how life was before everything came under the control of the Elders. In the process of receiving the memories from the elderly man known as "The Giver." Together they plot a way to change things.

It's been many years since I first read this book and I still believe it is one of the best children's books ever written. And to think I would not have re-read it if I wasn't involved in the "Big Read" discussion in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment