Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Moses, Man of the Mountain

Moses, Man of the Mountain by Zora Neale Hurston  313 pp.

Sadly, I had to miss the discussions of Moses... and from reading the blog, they looked very interesting. Hurston's retelling of the story of the biblical Moses is interesting and, if you are familiar with the Bible version, thought provoking. I think the quote "He had found out that no man may make another free. Freedom was something internal." to be key to the story. When Moses leads the Hebrews to a new life those who want to turn back and return to their slavery in Egypt were not able to incorporate the concept of "freedom" into their thinking. In fact, how individuals internalize "freedom" is going to be different depending on past experiences. (And this could go on into a discussion of White Privilege but I'm not going there now.) There is much depth to this story but I have to admit, I liked Jonah's Gourd Vine better.

No comments:

Post a Comment