Monday, February 11, 2013

The Last Unicorn/Peter S. Beagle, et al.

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (adapted by Peter B. Gillis, with art by Renae De Liz); graphic novel, fantasy, young adult; 152 pages

Full disclosure:  I've never actually read the novel that this story is based on, but I've watch the movie enough that I can quote large portions of it--in fact, my love of the movie has reached the point where I now consider it one of my go-to films when I sick or cranky. 

It's because of my love of the film that I picked this up--the unicorn on the front looks almost identical to one in the film (click through if you don't believe me).  The art throughout the rest of the book is vastly different from the anime-style of the film, but wonderful all the same.  The Red Bull is especailly well-done, and this Mommy Fortuna is way, way scarier than Angela Lansbury's incarnation. 

While I was expecting a close retelling of the film (Beagle worked on the film script, so I trust that adaptation), I was pleased to find a few new chapters that never made it into the movie--including the town of Hags Gate, which is creepy and wonderful.  On the down-side, quite a few of my favorite lines were missing ("There are no happy endings, because nothing ends"), and the transitions from one scene to another were a little rough (if I didn't already know the story, I would have been completely lost in some places).  Still, this was a good read, and the art was more than enough to make up for any weaknesses in the adaptation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment