Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Game Day

Game Day: Meet the People Who Make It Happen by Kevin Sylvester, 95 pages

This book was actually 188 pages, but I only read about half of it. There are only so many formulaic interviews I can handle. OK, backing up a bit... The premise of this book was actually pretty cool. Each chapter features a different person involved behind the scenes in professional sports, like a Zamboni driver, a NASCAR mechanic, the head groundskeeper for Camden Yards, the guy who schedules the professional lacrosse league games (who knew we even had a professional lacrosse league???)...

I liked the information, but the presentation was a little off. I mean, there was no attribution for the direct quotes! The only way we knew the interviewee was speaking was a change in the font style and color. That's just not right! And EVERY. SINGLE. CHAPTER. followed the exact same arc. I could have written the questions for each interview easily, and they were all the same: How did you get in this job? How did you get interested in [sport]? What's your average day like? What's the hardest thing you do? What do you do during the games? I do not exaggerate when I say that I could have written this, and in my sleep at that. Not bad to flip through, but definitely not great.


No comments:

Post a Comment