Sunday, February 10, 2013

John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth

John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth: a photographic biography by Elizabeth Partridge, 232 pages

This is a cradle-to-grave biography of John Lennon that covers the big events, highs, and lows of Lennon's early life, the Beatles and his time with Yoko Ono. The book is aimed at teens who know a bit about Lennon and the Beatles, so I suppose it's forgivable that Partridge doesn't really go in-depth with Lennon's thoughts, feelings, and motivations. As I said, it covers the big stuff, and I guess that's what matters in an introductory book like this one. That doesn't, however, excuse Partridge's use of the phrase "going all the way" in reference to Paul McCartney losing his virginity, nor does it make it OK for her to put the blandest captions ever under photos. One other beef with this book: it's too large to carry around easily. It's not too thick... It's just too... square. It's like carrying around a coffee table book. The size would be find if it was primarily photos, but there's too much text to justify that designation.

This was OK. I can't say I loved it, though some of the photos were interesting. Could have been worse, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment