Saturday, December 1, 2012

All-Star Superman v. 1/Grant Morrison

All-Star Superman vol. 1, by Grant Morrison (story) and Frank Quitely (art); graphic novel; 160 pages

While saving a group of astronauts from colliding into the sun, Superman is exposed to dangerous (even for him!) levels of radiation.  With only a few weeks left to live, Superman embarks on a few last adventures. 

I don't like Superman.  I never have.  But I had enough people recommend this book to me as a "classic" that I felt like I should read it; who knows, maybe I would like it? 

Well, guess what?  I still hate Superman.  Not only do I still hate him, but I found myself sympathizing deeply with Lex Luthor's anti-Superman rants.  The worst part is that the whole concept of Superman is completely flawed:  how has Earth survived the last several billion years without Superman at its protector?  It's getting threatened with aliens/interdimensional monsters/evil overlords every few weeks--however do we live without the Man of Steel.  Oh, wait, he'll just use is x-ray vision/laser eyes/super speed-strength/flying ability to solve our problems.  *yawn*

Ugh. 

Give me Batman any day of the week:  a human being with human limitations fighting human (or nearly human) baddies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment