Thursday, November 29, 2012

Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, 272 pages

This is one of those books that's been sitting on my shelf for ages, despite the fact that I knew I'd love it. I don't know why I didn't pick it up before now, but turns out I was right. This is an awesome book. In this collection of essays, Sedaris ruminates on everything from his ill-fated guitar lessons and speech therapy sessions as a child to his father's penchant for hoarding rotting food to his experiences as a drug-addled performance artist. The title, and many of the essays, however, refer to his attempts to learn French while living abroad. Whatever subject he's musing on (or ranting about, in the case of his short essay on pretentious food), Sedaris is hilarious. I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing with tears coming out of my eyes, but that's not really my M.O. I chuckled out loud several times though, which is about the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment