Sunday, November 25, 2012

Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 419 pp.

Unlike Kara's review I am not excited about this book. In fact, I couldn't wait for it to finish. Yes, there are lots of plot twists and things you don't see coming.  I know it's incredibly popular and all the "to read" lists.  But by halfway through I was thinking, enough already, let's get it over with whatever "it" is. Maybe I just don't care for this author. I only got about a quarter of the way through her novel Sharp Objects before I had enough of it. I do know that not a single character in this story is likable. The only other book I can readily say that about is Lolita, which at least had the redeeming quality of Nabokov's beautiful writing. If the author's purpose in writing this book was to show just how dysfunctionally evil and stupid people can be or perhaps to cause a visceral reaction in the reader, for good or ill, then she succeeded. However, she also succeeded in dragging the story out much longer than was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment