Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The price of politics

The Price of Politics by Bob Woodward 428 pgs.

I'm a big fan of Woodward and have read several of his books but this one is kind of a head scratcher.  The topic is the 2009 debt limit crisis, you know, that fiscal cliff we are stepping up to?  Read this and realize why.  So really  this book should only appeal to political junkies who care about the budget.  How many of us are there?  I'm guessing this one won't end up number 1 on many lists.

As with his other books, you wonder how Bob gets this kind of info.  It always amazes me.  What amazes me even more is how much reading this reminds me of the old saw about watching sausage being made.  OMG, it is frightening to see the up close negotiation process and the politics in action and I am fascinated with this stuff.  I'm not sure if the voters should be happy or sad that things take so long and are so arduous.  On the one hand, keeping government busy doing as little as possible can be a good thing for us, on the other, it is unbelievable how hard it is to get anything DONE even when not getting it done will probably start the chain reaction of global economic meltdown.

After reading this, I'll probably be able to keep better track of the current fiscal cliff negotiations but doing so may end up sending me off my personal cliff.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment