Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Wood Finishing 101: The Step-by-Step Guide by Bob Flexner

Wood Finishing 101: The Step-by-Step Guide by Bob Flexner

As a recent transplant with few belongings, I found myself in need of furniture for my new apartment. Despite my plush salary from the library, I surprisingly didn't have enough Benjamins in the bank to lavish my space with goodies from World Market. Frustrated with the quality of items in the free section on Craigslist and the Goodwill Outlet Store, I decided to try making some of my own furniture from scrap wood. I've been carpentry-curious for a while, but had never taken the full plunge into the woodworking world, largely because it seemed so overwhelming. This book is great for beginners like me! It has pictures with step-by-step guides for each type of job. Many books that claim to have "beginner" projects in them still use jargon that make me feel like I'll never be able to learn on my own. This book breaks down all the intricate details into understandable language. It was just what I needed to get the ball rolling on my first project and helped me gain the confidence to explore even further.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog, Aaron! And I may have to check out this book myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me a little more about that plush salary? Where can I get one?

    ReplyDelete