Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tiassa / Steven Brust

Tiassa by Steven Brust (the 13th Vlad Taltos novel). 335 p.

Before I started this book, I thought about why I liked the first book in the series so much more than later ones. I decided that it was because the first one was a caper, with lots of setup involving Vlad's friends. (It's been a long time since I reread it, but that's what stands out in my memory.) So the first main section of Tiassa was extra fun for me, because it is...Vlad setting up and carrying out a caper. I love Vlad's narrative voice. On the other hand, the later section, which features the narration style that Brust uses in the Khaavren books, reminds me of why I was never able to read The Phoenix Guards or other books in that sequence: the style is incredibly irritating. And, as usual after reading a new Vlad book, I feel like I need to go reread the whole series, because I'm sure I'm forgetting important details.

Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment