Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thirteen reasons why

Thirteen reasons why/Jay Asher 298 pgs.

I don't ready a lot of YA books but the Unshelved guys mentioned this one and I decided to try it. Hannah has committed suicide but left behind a series of cassette tapes. Just had the conversation with some of my younger coworkers about how they had NEVER used a cassette tape in their lives so I liked the fact that Hannah left behind tapes. ANYWAY, the tapes were to be passed around to the 13 people mentioned on them and Clay Jensen is currently the person with the tapes. This book goes back and forth between the content of the tapes and the comments and thoughts of Clay. Hannah clearly had some issues and I would never take suicide as a "light" topic but I can imagine that pretty much every teen is dealing with issues at least as bad as what this book talks about. I wish, for Hannah, that she would have tried to get some help in coping and Clay (who had a crush on her) certainly agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment