Friday, July 15, 2011

Here in Harlem

Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices by Walter Dean Myers  88 pp.

I have to be in a certain mood to read an entire book of poetry at one sitting. This book is so good I couldn't put it down (and subsequently overslept the next morning-but still made it to work on time). Myers, who has written so many award winning juvenile books, was inspired by Edgar Lee Master's Spoon River Anthology. The result is a collection of poems about his hometown of Harlem. Each is written in the "voice" of a different person: a church deacon, English teacher, student, salesman, hairdresser, boxer, mechanic, etc. The only person who appears more than once is "Clara Brown" whose "Testimony" is in six parts. Also included are vintage black & white photos of Harlem residents. It is a book for reading, re-reading, and savoring.

These poems give a flavor of Harlem in the days of the Cotton Club, rent parties, and jazz. Some are humorous, some touching, others sad. At least one, the story of a soldier, newly returned home who was attacked and blinded in the assault, is based on a true story. While all are excellent, I admit to liking some a lot more than others.

In "William Riley Pitts, 42: Jazz artist" a man laments the death off his young son:
"Sometimes I sit and wonder
What the boy could have been..."

And "Delia Pierce, 32: Hairdresser" who gossips while claiming she doesn't:
"And I could say something about them
But I'm not the kind to talk behind nobody's back"

My favorites are "Betty Pointing, 64: Clerk" who still loves her husband of forty-six years:
"He asked me why I smile when I say 'I love you.'
I don't know why I smile--I just do."

and
"Mali Evans, 12: Student":
"I'd like to be old one day
Like Mrs. Purvis with her gray
Hair like a halo around her black face..."

No comments:

Post a Comment