Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures

Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures/Vincent Lam 353 pgs.

A series of connected stories following the lives of a group of medical student then doctors. I downloaded this book thinking it was something completely different...in fact, I thought it was a non-fiction medical book. I was pleasantly surprised by the stories and characters and was easily sucked into this book in the good way when you really care to see how things turn out. The doctors are Canadian and there is one story I found very funny about an emergency room doctor who was explaining that a dermatological issue (rash) that had been around for 4 years is NOT an emergency and that the hospital didn't even have a dermatologist on the emergency rotation. "Dermatologists like to sleep." the doctor explained. Of course the patient was trying to get everything they could out of the system and didn't want to wait for a referral. Ended up really liking the book even though I wasn't sure about it when I started. This has been made into a mini series by HBO Canada. Doesn't look like it is available in the states....yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment