Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wild Thing: a novel

Wild Thing: a novel / Josh Bazell 400 pgs.

Wow, I've been looking forward to this book since 2009 when I closed the cover on Beat the Reaper but then when I laid my hands on it, I was scared that it would live up to the predecessor.  I guess it is save to say that I had nothing to fear.  There is enough craziness here to make anyone happy (anyone who loves craziness) and there are plenty of interesting asides.  Looks like Josh Bazell loves him some research and could easily compete in our book challenge.

This book finds our hero under another assumed name and still getting flack from his former mob associates.  He takes a job working for a rich guy to get off the cruise ship where he is working (remember how good you felt about going to the hospital after Beat the Reaper?  Don't read this if you have a current cruise reservation). The good doctor teams with a sexy paleontologist and they go in search of a scam artist, a relative of Nessie or maybe just the saddest town in America.  They have run-ins with a variety of super rich and/or famous people who are out looking for their own thrills.  The story ends abruptly (not unsatisfactorily) and you are left 62 pages of appendix and sources to keep you busy.

This was worth the wait but I do wonder how far along the author is with his next book.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment