Friday, January 20, 2012

Moneyball

Moneyball: the art of winning an unfair game / Michael Lewis 288 pgs.

Had to read the book before I come up on the hold list for the movie.  I'm not a real baseball fan but still a big fan of Michael Lewis.  So much of the way he writes "speaks" to me and makes me have a new understanding of someone or an event.  I loved the sections about Michael Hatteberg, a big league player that has never been anything but a catcher since his little league days.  His new team puts him at first base and at first, he really sucks.  Good coaching and small successes give him confidence and he starts seeing the advantages of playing first base.  For example, he likes to talk to the other team and catchers do get this opportunity but the ump is there hanging around right behind you and cameras are on you and the batter is under pressure.  First base, however, is a running social event.  "Guys come to first, " Hatteberg said, "and they step into my little office.  And I do like to chat."

To me, the personalities and stories about the people are gold.  The extensive information about baseball stats, not so much but mostly because this just isn't my area.  I did enjoy the POINT of the stats...the fact that most teams are looking at the wrong information and making decisions based on "feelings" instead of analysis.  That is all good stuff.  Knowing will often win out over guessing...even in baseball.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment