Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Man Without a Country

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut 145 pp.

I've loved Vonnegut's books since I started reading them in junior high. That being said, I was unaware of this collection of essays published two years before his death until I found it in the Biographies next to the one I was actually looking for (an authobiography of Vonnegut's son, Mark). This curmudgeonly collection is thought-provoking, frequently funny, and hits the mark every time. The content runs the gamut from politics (George W. Bush's administration of "upper crust C students") to his own personal quirks, cigarette habit, his experience of the bombing of Dresden in WWII and more. Also included are facsimiles of silk screened posters of Vonnegut sayings. He just might be the greatest writer of the 20th (& 21st) Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment