Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sapphique/Catherine Fisher

Sapphique by Catherine Fisher; young adult, science fiction; 480 pages

I loved last year's Incarceron so much that I scoured ebay for the British edition of this sequel, so I wouldn't have to wait for the US release. Then, I let the British copy languish on my TBR shelf until well after the US edition had hit the shelves, so I guess my cunning plan didn't work out so well. And I really regret waiting so long to read this: it's got everything that the first volume does--action, horror, and enough political maneuverings to keep things interesting. Here, the politics are even more important: Finn has Escaped from the prison Incarceron, but the new world Outside may not be any better than the one he's left. And while Finn's fending off assassins and conspiracies, Keiro and Attia (those left behind) struggle to find the secret way out of the prison known only to the mythical Sapphique.

I loved this, and devoured it in just a few days. I keep seeing this series lumped in with steampunk, so I'm giving it that tag, but I will say that this isn't quite what steampunk fans expect. The tech is too futuristic, and the Era is a little too old. Still, it's a fascinating read, and I really hope Fisher will write more in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment