Monday, June 27, 2011

Sandman Volume 2: The Doll's House/ Neil Gaiman

Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman graphic literature, adventure, occult, fantasy 240 pages

I liked this volume of Neil Gaiman's dark fantasy epic "The Sandman." I didn't love it, but I certainly did like it. For those of you who read my review of Gaiman's first volume (a review that will live in infamy as one of the most scathing reviews of any person, place, or thing that I have ever written) I am wondering the same question as you: Was this volume really good, or did it just seem good in comparison to the absolute pile of livestock excrement that made up the first volume??? I honestly think that I will never know the answer to this question, so I will attempt to explain myself without relying too much on comparison to the first volume, although that is almost impossible (especially when you consider how much I like ranting about stuff I hate). Here are a few reasons I really liked the second volume:

REASON 1: IT HAS A STORY
This may seem like a given, but those who have read Gaiman's first novel will remember that it was mostly just aimless meandering with a little bit of plot thrown in there. Volume 2 features a major plot arc that the reader can not only follow, but be interested in. This story splits focus between the Sandman and another interesting protagonist, Rose Walker, a human who also, for some unknown reason, acts as a vortex in Morpheus' land of dreams. Morpheus' story focuses on locating some of the rogue dreams that have abandoned his dreamland (which may seem eerily similar to his quest in the first volume, but believe me, it's better) while Rose's focuses on her quest to locate her long-lost younger brother. These quests intertwine in a way that makes sense without feeling forced.

REASON 2: THE CHARACTERS ARE ACTUALLY INTERESTING
Gaiman has a great imagination. Nobody can argue that. That is why I was so bothered by the fact that he chose to populate his world with both boring characters such as the less-than-diabolical Dr. Dee and interesting characters borrowed from other DC franchises (John Constantine anyone??). The characters in Gaiman's second volume were both original and deep. I especially enjoyed reading about the hauntingly horrible character known as the Corinthian and Morpheus' undying friend Robert "Hob" Gadling. Gaiman makes new characters that are interesting and fleshes out old characters to make them more interesting. Both work extremely well and Gaiman should be commended for that.

REASON 3: EVERYTHING ELSE
As a literature nerd, I was on the verge of peeing myself when Gaiman populated one of the volume's chapters with cameos by some of literature's most renowned figures. Will Shakespeare, Geoffrey Chaucer, and Kit Marlowe all make appearances in the world of Sandman. Such appearances are done in a way that doesn't seem cheap or hokey, which is what makes their inclusion worthwhile. This point may not be worth its own reason heading, but I was especially pleased by it. Also, the second volume features a "Cereal" convention which is actually a clever misspelling that masks the true nature of the convention. Gaiman presents a major convention of serial killers that is both interesting and humorous. The inclusion of such a bizarre plot device manages to work well with the story while also creating perfect breaks in the action by giving the reader insight into many of the humorous panel discussions and industry-talk between avid professional murderers.

So yes, I liked this volume of Sandman a lot. I even have to admit that it almost makes reading the first volume worthwhile just to understand the action going on in this one...almost.

Annie Fuller credibility rating (pre-volume 2): -1
Annie Fuller credibility rating (post-volume 2): 0
Annie Fuller credibility rating (post-volume 3): tune in next time, folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment