Monday, June 27, 2011

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?/ Steven Tyler

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? by Steven Tyler autobiography, drugs, sex, rock n roll, music 386 pages

There are two things I learned upon reading this book-- 1. Steven Tyler is insane. 2. I Hate Steven Tyler.

I was excited to read this book because I like a lot of Aerosmith's, Tyler's band, music and was interested to hear the story behind it. Also, I had recently read Keith Richards' autobiography and was surprised at how much I enjoyed hearing about the hard-partying debauchery of the rock n roll community. Unfortunately, Steven Tyler is no Keith Richards, but he'd be the last person to tell you that. This book proves that Steven Tyler is one of the most loathable egomaniacs in the music industry.

Tyler is a crappy writer (yes, I know, most famous people don't actually write their own autobiographies, but since Tyler's name is attached to this, I'll ask HIM to track down the hack responsible for this book and give him an earful from me). He picks completely random points to skat-skat-skeebow for a paragraph or interrupt what could actually be interesting prose with far too much descriptive and unnecessary lyrical rhyming. We get it, Steven, you're a songwriter...we've all heard your songs so stop trying to prove this point by filling your book with senseless nonsense.

I was also surprised at how much hearing Steven Tyler's perspective on inter-band drama and family drama made me hate him more. You'd expect that Tyler would at least TRY to twist the perspective in his favor, but instead paints himself out to be a complete tool and rationalizes his toolishness by saying "I'm a lead singer, they need me to be this way." A perfect example of Steven making you hate him is when he discusses his unending trips to rehab. I understand that kicking a drug habit can be extremely difficult, but after all of those supposed "clean slates," Tyler admits that he is still using drugs. What is his rationalization, one might ask? Well, Steven Tyler says that it's not a bad thing that he does drugs because other members of the band (he's too classy to name names...*gag*) are using drugs too and people are hypocrites for not calling them all out. Tyler presents his problems in a way that a six year old would-- constantly passing the buck and selfishly rationalizing everything he can't pass on with his ultra-inflated ego.

If you like to read about Rock n Roll, partying, the music industry, and crazy stories from celebrities...read "Life" by Keith Richards. If you've already read that one and are feeling especially masochistic, pick up this one and prepare to hate only one person more than yourself by the end of it...Steven....Freaking....Tyler

1 comment: