Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists/ Neil Gaiman

The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman graphic literature, adventure, mythology, dark fantasy 224 pages

In writing this blog post, I have fulfilled my promise to read the first four volumes of Neil Gaiman's dark fantasy graphic novel epic, The Sandman. When I made this promise, I said I would read the first four volumes and decide only after reading those volumes whether I would continue on and finish the saga. If one has been following my posting, the choice to abandon this series would seem like an obvious one because I hated volumes 1 and 3, and was only pleased by volume 2 when it is compared to the colossal waste of paper that is volume 1. Now, I'll throw you a curveball--- I'm going to keep reading. This is not out of some delusional sense of reader's honor where I finish whatever I start. I will continue reading because Neil Gaiman finally hit a home run with volume four: Season of Mists.

After the monumental waste of time that was the vignette style in volume 3, Gaiman returns to the long arc form. This volume tells one major story (with the exception of one chapter, which seems out of place, but if I've learned anything about Gaiman, it's that i'll be eating my words on that one before too long) and that definitely works. This volume's story deals largely with Morpheus' quest to free a lover who he condemned to Hell ten thousand years ago. When he tries to rescue her, Morpheus meets up with Lucifer, lord of Hell. Lucifer explains to Morpheus that he is quitting his job and kicks everyone, from tormented souls to demonic torturers, out of Hell and gives Morpheus the key to his now-abandoned realm. Morpheus must then make the decision over what to do with the key, a decision that becomes even more difficult as he is propositioned by many different members of various mythological pantheons.

The point in the story where all of the Gods and mythical creatures start showing up is definitely a highlight. As someone familiar with mythology, I was extremely pleased to see Norse Gods like Odin and Thor dining next to Bast, the Egyptian cat Goddess and Remiel and Duma-- Angels from Heaven. Each of these Gods has their own personality (the belligerent and constantly drunk Thor is a personal favorite) and make for very interesting characters with different things to offer Morpheus in exchange for the key, all of which seem appealing. The conclusion of this storyline is a solution that will leave the reader and many of the characters satisfied.

I was also intrigued by the brief, but all-too-important presence of Dream's siblings, the Endless. Up to this point, we had been exposed to Dream, Death, and Desire, but now we get to meet two more as well as get hints at the identity of a third (a question that is still driving me NUTS). The two additional endless-- Destiny and Delirium, are both deep characters with strong story potential. I really hope Gaiman continues to keep the Endless at the core of this epic.

If I had one criticism of this book, it's that a chapter concerning a haunted boarding school was included. I understand that this was an excellent way of showing the reader what the Earth was like now that souls were locked out of Hell, but it seemed really out of place with everything else that went on. Furthermore, the conclusion of that chapter seems interesting, but then it proves pointless because the souls must return to Hell at the end of the story when ownership of Hell is finally decided.

I am really excited to keep reading, which is something I never thought I would say until now. If anyone decides to pick up this series and takes stock in anything I say, PLEASE read until the fourth volume. Everything else you read might be crap, but the fourth volume is 100% worth it. I promise you.

as much as I hate to do this....
Annie Fuller Credibility Rating (pre-volume 4): -1
Annie Fuller Credibility Rating (post-volume 4): 1 (it REALLY is that good...this is no joke)

No comments:

Post a Comment