Sunday, October 21, 2018

New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living (2018) 195 pages

New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living by Cary Telander Fortin and Kyle Louise Quilici

I am always on the lookout for books to help me declutter my home and turn it into the kind of tranquil oasis I dream about. This book has done more to make me feel that I could be within reach of that goal than any other book of its kind so far.

The authors share their own backgrounds, and how they met and found their synergy. Fortin has a degree in psychology and Quilici has a degree in organizational behavior, with extra studies in interior design and sustainable design. The first part of the book goes into their philosophy of decluttering (bridging a middle path between "less is better" and "our consumer-based lifestyle [which] constricts us and harms our planet"), helping us find our own path, rather than using some formula that dictates how many dishes or bath towels we should own. The second part of the book shows us how to put their ideas into action. I'll be studying this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment