Friday, October 19, 2018

Unhinged: An Insider's Account of the Trump White House

Unhinged: An Insider's Account of the Trump White House by Omarosa Manigault Newman, 334 pages.
Other than as a Trump surrogate on the campaign trail and then as a person that people I paid attention to were maligning and making fun of, I was unaware of Omarosa. I had never watched The Apprentice (yes, I am bragging about that) and I was unaware of Omarosa's many other accomplishments. I did start the book with a bias against Omarosa, based on her pro-Trump stance and the things people I like and respect said about her, I found myself believing the author a bit after listening to her narrate this book.. She is obviously a smart woman, and she is used to controlling the narrative and convincing people of what she wants them to believe, and though she has an enthusiasm for reality TV and a poor choice in mentors, she comes across as an honest person who has seen the light about Donald's douche-baggery. As the Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison, Omarosa is able to give us well-formed opinions about Trump, Pence, Kellyanne, Bannon, and others. While she claims to have lingering respect for some members of Trump's inner circle, Melania, and to some extent Eric, she is now willing to acknowledge that the Trump side is dishonest, cult-like and that Trump is a sexual abuser and that he definitely said the n-word. More interesting than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment