Monday, October 10, 2016

The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco  592 pp.

Every few years I dig out my old paperback copy and reread it. This time I decided to listen to the audiobook version read by the great actor, Theodore Bikel. I can't find fault with his reading, but when I read the words of William of Baskerville my brain automatically hears it as Sean Connery who played him in the film version. The story is a whodunit in a medieval monastery during the time of the Inquisition. The story is narrated by William's young assistant, Adso, initially visit the monastery to investigate heresy but a series of strange deaths put them on the trail of the murderer. In addition to the murders there is political intrigue, a cast of diverse and sometimes creepy characters including a fanatical, old, blind monk. Now it's time to watch the movie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment