Thursday, June 24, 2010

Insignificant Others

Insignificant Others/Stephen McCauley 243 pgs

I was excited to see a new book by McCauley. His Alternative to Sex was my favorite book of 2006. This book is also wonderful. I love the characters, I love the writing, I love the path the book takes. Richard Rossi is aging but fighting it with gusto. He has a much younger partner and a lover on the side and a job he likes well enough. The story has to do with the relationships he has with his coworkers, his family, and in his personal life. Richard used to be a psychologist but is now an HR executive. He has insights on other people and a few about himself too. Of course much of his intuition turns out to be wrong but in the end, he learns about himself. Boy, my description makes it all sound sort of lame but it isn't...it is wonderful and seems so very real and possible. In the end, I'm mostly left with the desire that McCauley write a little faster. - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment