Friday, June 25, 2010

Shiver/Maggie Steifvader

Shiver by Maggie Steifvader; young adult; 400 pages (about 11 hours, listening)

This is yet another teen paranormal romance (yeah, I need to branch out a bit). Here, the lovebirds are Sam, a werewolf, and Grace, a typical 17 year old girl. The bulk of this book was taken up with those two making googly eyes at each other, which is to say, it wasn't very heavy on the action. I did enjoy this, even if I had some trouble with the real-world parts of the book (I find it very hard to believe that, with all the money that's been spent on reviving the wolf population in the US, that the authorities would allow a wolf hunt; I also had issues with the end, but I can't say much without giving it away). I really liked Steifvader's take on the traditional werewolf myth: changes are controlled by temperature, with everyone turning into wolves as winter sets in. I also enjoyed the way the audio book was set up: Grace and Sam narrate alternate chapters, so they have two actors switching off the reading. The actor voicing Sam was a little hard to listen to in places, but overall, it was an enjoyable read. I'll definitely be picking up the sequel, Linger, when it comes out this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment