Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fool Moon/Jim Butcher

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, book 2), by Jim Butcher; urban fantasy; 352 pages (about 8 1/2 hours, listening)

I've had just about everyone I know recommend these books to me, so I finally broke down and read one. I started on the second book (the first book was checked out), but Butcher did a pretty good job of filling in the blanks for me. I loved Harry Dresden's sarcastic narration, even if Butcher seemed to be laying the noir on a bit thick in places. I did have trouble believing that Harry could take the amount of abuse he gets in this book and still be able to walk, let alone fight bad guys, but I realize Butcher was still finding his feet in this book, so I'm willing to cut him some slack. As the title implies, this was the obligatory werewolf book that usually appears early on in every urban fantasy series. I wasn't too excited about it, but I thought Butcher had a pretty unique take on the werewolf legends here, and I found myself getting caught up in the mystery angle of the story, so it moved along pretty fast. I also blame this book for triggering a long discussion on why Klingons are like werewolves, but that's for another time. All in all, I liked it, and will be trying more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment