Monday, June 28, 2010

My Sister's Keeper: Jodi Picoult

Ok, this is literally insane. First of all, I'm not supposed to read these sappy New York Times best-sellers. Secondly, I am not supposed to sit down at 4:30 in the afternoon and then close the book at 1:30 in the morning. But that's what happened. I sat down and read this book, and cried at the sad parts, and read it cover to cover of the course of approximately nine hours.

I think what gives the book momentum is what Picoult gets praised for in quotes on the back--the humanity of the characters. It makes it a page turner. It's kind of like figuring what you would do in the same situation by watching the characters make the decision. And then when they make the decision you say "Oh. That makes sense. Yes, that's what people do."

Plot summary: Anna is born as a genetic match for Kate, her leukemia-ridden sister, to whom she donates everything from blood to a kidney. The end is a total shocker. Ta-dah.

This is like when I read the entire Gossip Girl series the summer before 7th grade and I made sure that no one saw me checking out the books. But this was good. Yeah, it's one of those young adult books. But it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment