Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Curiosities

The Curiosities by Maggie Steifvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff; short stories, horror, fantasy, young adult; 304 pages

Steifvater, Gratton and Yovanoff share a blog and writing project (The Merry Fates) where they share ideas, experiments, and critiques to help each other perfect their craft.  This book collects some of the best stories from the project, as well as commentary from the authors, and sketches and doodles to illustrate each. 

I love Yovanoff's work, and while I didn't love Stiefvater's recent books as much as everyone else, I enjoyed it (I also blame the lackluster narration on the audio books for putting me off the writing).  I found myself loving every single story in this book, which is a HUGE rarity for me (at the moment, I can't think of another short story collection that fits the bill).  I definitely need to revisit Stiefvater (fortunately I have her newest book checked out at home), and will check out Gratton's work soon, too!  Wonderful, creepy, magical collection of dark fantasy fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment