Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas

I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas by Lewis Black  178 pp.

Curmudgeonly comedian Lewis Black gives his take on all that is wrong with the holidays, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. He bemoans large family dinners and other get-togethers, holiday shopping, choosing not to buy gifts for the friends of children and being looked down on because of it, and other aggravations of that sort. I think everybody can relate to at least some of his rants. I know I certainly did. But the book is not all gripes and kvetching. Black gives a wonderful account of his experiences performing USO holiday shows in the Middle East and Spain and how he was impressed by the service men and women he met there. Because it is Lewis Black, be prepared for profanity in this book. He is an acquired taste, but I enjoy his humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment