Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Locke & Key. Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key. Volume 1. Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill, art by Gabriel Rodriguez, 158 pages

After the murder of their father, Tyler, Kinsey and Bode (along with their alcoholic mother) move from the west coast to Keyhouse, their uncle's sprawling mansion in Massachusetts. But Keyhouse isn't a normal mansion. It has an odd black door, through which a person can pass between life and death just by crossing the threshold. There's also a creepy locked wellhouse, with an equally creepy echo. As Tyler, Kinsey and Bode attempt to get used to life at Keyhouse, their father's killer, a deranged teenager has escaped from the detention center, with additional murders--and a mysterious "anywhere" key--on his mind.

This is the first Joe Hill I've read, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Something about the supernatural elements reminds me of The Unwritten, though Hill's is much easier to follow. And a bit bloodier. The gory storyline is juxtaposed by Rodriguez's clean, precise art. It was a bit jarring at first (it reminded me more of Disney movies than most of the graphic novels I've read), but as I read, I got used to it. Can't wait to pick up Volume 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment