Monday, August 2, 2010

The Unwritten, vol. 1 / Mike Carey et al.

The Unwritten. Vol. 1, Tommy Taylor and the bogus identity by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. 144 p.

Unlike Annie (who blogged this on 7/6), I got to the twist at the end of the volume and went, "Really? You're going *there*?" It seemed so...prosaic after the setup we've gotten so far. The fiction/reality blurring is interesting, but I think the ending plot twist would have worked better if it weren't so clear that Tom is being set up; there's not enough uncertainty about the reality of Pullman's actions to suit me. I certainly want to read the next volume, though.

Also, since the plot involves beloved children's books characters--the main character is very similar to Harry Potter, which the story itself points out--I keep wondering if the scary enforcer guy named Pullman is a reference to Philip Pullman.

No comments:

Post a Comment