Monday, August 30, 2010

The Thief/ Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (Queen Thief, book 1), by Megan Whalen Turner; young adult, fantasy; 304 pages (about 7 hours on audio)

I've had about six people recommend this series to me, but I hadn't read it. But with the unexpected outcome of the YA Fantasy Showdown a few weeks ago, I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about. Now I understand! This is the story of Gen, who claims to be the world's greatest thief: he does successfully steal the king's own seal ring, but then brags to the wrong person and winds up in the king's prison. A royal adviser offers him freedom if he joins them on a treasure hunt in enemy territory--because of course they'll need a skilled thief. Gen's the ultimate in unreliable narrators, so the whole book is filled with moments of Gen pulling one over on the reader (right up to the end!). The audiobook was addicting, and I finished it in record time.

No comments:

Post a Comment