Monday, August 16, 2010

Batman: R.I.P./Grant Morrison

Batman: R. I. P. by Grant Morrison and Tony Daniels; graphic novel; 208 pages

This was a decidedly dark take on Batman, and one I really enjoyed. The Black Glove, and international organization of criminals, has been preparing to bring Batman down for years, planting subliminal messages, slipping him damaging drugs, and even placing their agents within Bruce Wayne's own circle of friends and loved ones. This is the volume where they make their move. There's a lot going on here, so it was a little hard to keep track of it all. My favorite part was this version of the Joker, who's a horror-movie cross between Sweeney Todd and Cabaret's MC. You get a really good idea of the relationship between Batman and the Joker here, and it's very, very creepy. The whole thing reminded me strongly of Morrison's Arkham Asylum storyline. Overall, I had a great time with this, though it's definitely closer to horror than most Batman stories I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment