Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Batman: Under the Hood, v. 2/Judd Winick

Batman: Under the Hood vol. 2, by Judd Winick; graphic novel; 192 pages

There's no way I can discuss this book without giving away the surprise ending of the first volume, so if you want to read that and still be surprised, skip this review.

I read this in a single sitting, and found myself wishing it was longer. Batman continues to fight the Red Hood, who has now been revealed to be Jason Todd, the second Robin, and the boy Batman thought the Joker had killed years ago. The story doesn't focus on how or why Todd is back, just on his current mission of vengeance against both Batman and Gotham. Watching Batman have to fight his former student (and deal with the emotional baggage associated with it) is like watching a really engrossing soap opera--I couldn't look away. The final chapter is a flashback that explains how Todd came back, and while it's a good stand-alone story, the explanation is pretty thin. Still, I'm happy to stick with the plot for what it is. And now I'm ready to watch the new Batman film, Under the Red Hood!

No comments:

Post a Comment