Friday, February 4, 2011

Shadowfever/Karen Marie Moning


Shadowfever (Fever series, book 5), by Karen Marie Moning; fantasy, horror; 608 pages

A few years ago one of my friends handed me the first book in this series (Darkfever) and told me I had to read it. I looked at what else the author had written (Highlander romances!), rolled my eyes, and put it off. When I finally got around to reading it, of course, I was completely sucked in. Since then I've eagerly awaited each new book in the series. This is the concluding volume (for this story arc, at least), and it doesn't disappoint.

Going too much into the plot would be a little pointless here, since so much of what happens in this volume is tying up events from previous books. The basic plot is this: MacKayla Lane traveled to Dublin to track her sister's killer, and stumbled across otherworldly beings, secret cults, and hidden powers of her own. With an elusive bookstore owner as her only ally, Mac sets out to save the world, stop the bad guys, and recapture a mythic book that contains the most evil spells ever created. The endings are mostly satisfying here. There are a few loose ends left dangling, but the author's afterward says she's currently working on another series set in the same world, that's okay. I think Moning's romance writer roots show a little here, as a disproportionately large amount of the book seems to focus on the relationship between Mac and the bookstore owner. Still, that's been a large part of the story for the previous books, too, so it didn't feel too out of place. I was a little disappointed with the conclusion of the "finding her sister's killer" storyline, but I hope it's meant to be a setup for future novels. In short, I'm eagerly awaiting further stories in this world.

Check our catalog

Downloadable ebook

No comments:

Post a Comment