Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Polar Treasure / Kenneth Robeson

The Polar Treasure by Kenneth Robeson (Doc Savage #4, June 1933). 122 p.

My plan was to read one of these a week, but I'm going to have to dial it back to one a month--they're not nearly as much fun as they were when I was a kid, mostly because it's harder for me to ignore the problematic stuff. In this one, that's mostly the plot. A blind violinist took a pleasure cruise on which everyone was killed, including his wife and young daughter, and he only survived because he was rescued by a benefactor, who asked him not to mention the disaster to anyone. And for 15 years he never does! Not only does he ignore it--except when mourning for his lost family--no one ever asks him about it, either! For 15 years! I mean, I expect some plotholes in my pulp, but come on. I'm perfectly happy to accept Doc killing a polar bear bare-handed (see cover), but I can't swallow that plot point.

First appearance of: Doc carrying explosive chemicals in false molars. Doc using tiny fingertip needles under fake fingertips to inject knock-out drugs by merely touching others.

1 comment:

  1. How about a compromise for those of us looking forward to the next cover? 2 a month?

    ReplyDelete