Thursday, February 3, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 2: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World/ Bryan Lee O'Malley

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 2: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Graphic Novel, Fast-Paced Action, 20-Somethings, Comic Violence 200 pages

Even though I've been waiting for this book for a few days now (many props to the blizzard of '11. may it live in infamy), I believe it came at the perfect time. I am probably (read:definitely) not going to ever write a best-seller of the magnitude of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life. The best I can hope for is to be voted best post for January for my review of the aforementioned graphic novel (PS...thanks to everyone who voted for my post. I promise this is the last time I will toot my own horn). Now, I can put myself in a situation very similar to that of the author. After the smash hit that was Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1, O'Malley was faced with the daunting task of creating a graphic novel that not only kept the spirit of his first volume alive but surpassed it in order to keep his fan base interested. I hope that I can similarly inform and entertain those that recognized my review of O'Malley's first Scott Pilgrim novel with my follow up review of the graphic novel from which the film based on the franchise took it's name--- Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

From page 1 of O'Malley's second Scott Pilgrim novel, we are given what all fans want at this point--- an expanded, fleshed-out, deeper, and altogether more interesting look at the mythology and characters of a universe that has already drawn our interest. This is a trait Scott Pilgrim vs. the World shares with many other famous sequels (The Empire Strikes Back, The Girl Who Played With Fire, Sally Master and Nate Master, need I go on?). The first volume clearly did its job in grabbing my attention, so now that I know who Scott Pilgrim is, I want to know WHY Scott Pilgrim is (you may think I am getting too deep for a 200 page graphic novel...if this is true then you obviously haven't read it yet and should quit wasting time on the internet and read the darn book!!). Besides learning more about Scott, some of the other characters in this fast-paced Canadian epic became a lot more real to me too, specifically Wallace, Scott's sarcastic gay roommate/sugar daddy and Kim, Scott's equally sarcastic bandmate/ex-girlfriend.

The story is extremely involving, and O'Malley presents a new narrative form that constantly switches back-and-forth between revealing more of Scott's past and illustrating his present confrontation with Ramona Flowers' 2nd evil ex-boyfriend: skating-sensation turned Hollywood action-hero Lucas Lee. Those not used to the faster pace of graphic novels might get a little annoyed by these switches, but if you take a deep breath, relax, and realize that you are TOTALLY allowed to read at your own pace, I promise you will get through it just fine.

The last thing that I really want to comment are some of the tiny details I found in O'Malley's artwork. One of the things that makes Scott Pilgrim good for a re-read are all of the hilarious easter eggs he includes in his artwork. I don't want to give away a bunch of them because half of the fun is noticing them on your own, but a few I would like to mention to keep you interested are...

1. Scott and his roommate Wallace are having a conversation on a bus. Wallace is multi-tasking and reading a magazine. O'Malley lampoons the very "to-the-point" alcohol ads one finds in magazines by drawing an ad on the back cover of Wallace's magazine that simply features a couple bottles with the tagline "Not Enough People Are buying BEER"

2. Scott is walking down the street. He passes a building that features a public service announcement that reads "the internet is a strange place. don't surf alone"

3. A frame features a view of Scott and Wallace's apartment. Their refrigerator has those neato little magnetic letters that everyone has put on their refrigerator at some point. Someone (most likely Scott) has arranged the letters into three words: "Scott" "Beer" Pee"...maturity at its greatest.

These and other humorous hidden treasures reward those that actually READ the story instead of just LOOKING at it.

In summation, although Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World had big shoes to fill, it certainly doesn't disappoint and I would recommend it just as much as I did the first one (although honestly what kind of weirdo would start reading in the middle anyway, so do yourself a favor and read the first one first...thanks).

No comments:

Post a Comment