Thursday, February 24, 2011

Just Kids by Patti Smith 279 pages

I have never listened to a Patti Smith album. I believe that I saw her perform on Saturday Night Live many, many years ago. I recognized the name Robert Mapplethorpe primarily as causing a firestorm with conservatives appalled that either he received funding or an institution that exhibited his works received funding from the National Endowment of the Arts. I did not know that there was a relationship between Patti and Robert. So, I had no preconceived notions as to what this book was about. My interest was piqued because I read that this was a runner-up for the National Book Award. I was surprised that a "former rocker" could write "literature". This is not your usual self-promoting star autobiography (probably written by a ghost writer). It is an introspective look at a relationship evolving during a unique time (late sixties /early seventies) and place (New York City). Patti is a multi-talented artist with words and images. She also was partner to the artist, Mapplethorpe and saw his talents and creativity emerge. They both found fame, but at a cost. Their lifestyle, living in poverty while partying with the rich and famous is depicted quite clearly. They lost many friends and loved ones to drugs and AIDs. I guess I will go find a Patti Smith album to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment