Thursday, February 17, 2011

Liar's Poker

Liar's Poker/Michael Lewis 249 pg.

I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis and decided I need to go back and read anything of his that I missed. Liar's Poker was his first book and it amazes me how he really had his "voice" from the beginning. Aside from the writing, it is always good for me to read about things like financial markets and/or economic meltdowns and realize all the "in the know" people didn't know what they were doing either. Makes me feel a little less incompetent! This is a story of Wall Street, specifically Solomon Brother's in the 1980's. Seems like a poorly managed behemoth just like so many other big corporations who are run by people who are just working to consolidate their own power and maximize their income instead of making decisions based on what is best for the organization. The money changing hands was insane (even back then) and now we know it has grown exponentially since. Reading about how this stuff works, it makes me wonder why we can't fix some of it...oh yea, there are a lot of people out there who don't think it's broken. - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment