Saturday, February 5, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 4: Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together/Bryan Lee O'Malley

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 4: Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Graphic Literature, Fast-Paced Action, Video Game/Comic References, Relationships. 216 Pages

Wow!!! I can't believe it's taken me four graphic novels to realize that the biggest difference between graphic novels and traditional novels are that when reading graphic novels, you can crank out a whole series in a weekend if you really want to. Already, I have tackled Bryan Lee O'Malley's 4th Scott Pilgrim installment- Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together.

If you're reading this, chances are you have read at least one of my previous Scott Pilgrim posts where I profess my undying love for the artwork and narrative style, so excuse me for skipping over it and saying that O'Malley's work remains consistent in Volume 4. Obviously by this point he learns that if it's not broken, there is no need to fix anything. I should also mention that the plot of the story is now much more of a surprise for me, because the 4th book is where the movie plot and the graphic novel plot really diverge. I mentioned in my review the last volume that a few things in the graphic novel were left out of the movie, but volume 4 takes it to a whole new level, because with the exception of the main villain (Ramona's evil ex-...girlfriend half-ninja Roxanne Richter) the storyline was entirely independent from the film adaptation. Obviously the books are going to have a more detailed story because if the movie was going to follow the books frame-for-frame, it would be a 6 hour movie (which I wouldn't be totally opposed to, but i'm kind of a nut like that...) but I looked it up online and it turns out that the screenplay for the movie was being written while O'Malley was putting the finishing touches on the 4th book, so obviously this is where the changes will be most prominent.

One other thing I want to touch upon is the realization that I had about halfway through this volume. I noticed when reading the first volume that each Scott Pilgrim book has a recommended age logo that states they are for Teens: Ages 13+. While I will agree that the first three volumes fit that age group perfectly, this 4th installment had me wondering. Is a 13 year old (and let's be real here, younger kids than 13 are reading/have read Scott Pilgrim. I personally have checked these books out to kids as young as 10-11) really going to be able to understand the humor of Ramona's 4th evil ex being a remnant from her lesbian phase in college? Furthermore, the characters spend an awful lot of time in bars drinking and make references to how fun it is to be drunk. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not in any position to judge people's decisions on what is morally right and/or age-appropriate (after all, I am the guy who pranced around the staff area of the library showing off the "How Animals Have Sex" book I found on the donation shelf yesterday) but I just think that some of the content may be a little mature for middle schoolers. I'm not saying the content should be changed---just the advisory label on the back. If a kid wants to read something, they're going to get to read it regardless of what warnings we put on the book, this however, doesn't mean that the publisher shouldn't at least TRY. That being said, I also realize how ridiculous it is for a parent to tell a kid "you can read the first three books in this series but then you have to grow up a little more before you can keep reading". Needless to say, I'm torn.

I should however mention that Scott Pilgrim really does "Get it Together" in this volume and along with all the humor there are some seriously good messages about growing up, being in an adult relationship, getting a job, and taking care of one's own living situation. I'm not saying that readers are going to go out and get a job just because Scott Pilgrim did, but if a parent is going to be really upset about the content, they should know that there are good lessons about growing up as well.

Well, this post certainly has made me feel holier-than-thou and pretentious. Maybe I've grown up a little bit while reading, but more likely than not I just felt like ranting about something. No worries...on to the 5th book!!!

PS...if I post about the 5th book today/tonight then I need to stop reading and go out and do something

2 comments:

  1. Ouch, your "old man teacher" persona is showing through a bit here with the questions of age appropriateness. Tell me who at age 10 has not witnessed drinking or thought about hanging out at bars and as far as the sex, PLEASE! How many kids that age have you been around lately? I might not be able to vote for this for my favorite February posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that jokes like the one about the lesbian phase are meant to be winks at the 20 somethings that are reading the book. Think of any CGI movie - 1/4 of all the jokes and references are for the adults. I don't see how this is any different or how that makes this a title that is problematic for teens. So they won't get it. So what, there still is plenty in there for them to get.

    ReplyDelete