Monday, December 9, 2013

Legends, Icons & Rebels

Legends, Icons & Rebels: Music That Changed the World by Robbie Robertson, Jim Guerinot, Sebastian Robertson, Jared Levine  128 pp.

I'll start by saying I rarely watch Tavis Smiley's talk show but when I saw that Robbie Robertson was the guest I had to watch. Robertson, musician, songwriter, member of the iconic group The Band, was promoting this book. This book was inspired by a conversation Robbie and his son, Sebastian about how the children he worked with responded better to good music by great artists instead of the usual "kiddie music" they were offered. From that conversation the concept of introducing children to some of the greatest musical artists of all time was born. Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Carole King, Marvin Gaye, and many others are featured in brief articles about their unique contributions to popular music. The book is lavishly illustrated by fifteen different artists. Included are two cds containing performances by each of the twenty-seven legends in the book. I may have to buy this one for my niece's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment