Monday, January 7, 2013

The Lovecraft Anthology, volume 1

The Lovecraft Anthology, volume one edited by Dan Lockwood; graphic novel, horror; 120 pages

This collection features graphic adaptations of a handful of Lovecraft's greatest hits:  Shadow over Innsmouth, The Call of Cthulhu, The Color out of Space, and Dagon, among others.  Each story is adapted and illustrated by a different artist, which fits really well with the constantly-shifting narrators of each story.  In fact, I was really impressed with all of the art in this volume--each artist's style is unique enough to stand out, but they also all manage to capture the classic Lovecraft vibe of something-not-right (or the way things start out looking normal, and gradually spiral into insanity-inducing horror). 

Some of the selected stories were old favorites (Innsmouth FTW!), but others were completely new to me (how have I never read "The Color out of Space" before??), and I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the source material.  I'm looking forward to volume two, and hoping a few of my other favorites will make an appearance (hint:  The Music of Erich Zann!)

No comments:

Post a Comment