Sunday, January 20, 2013

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, Literary, 1330 pages.


So, I meant to finish this epic, sweeping, really long book when (almost) everyone else did, back in August for our last summer-reading program meeting, but that didn't work out. I was only on page 990 or so at that time. Then I meant to finish it last year, maybe in December, so I could count the page total in 2012, but that didn't work out either. I finished it this morning and now I understand what everyone was talking about at the last meeting with the marriage, and the moving out, and characters not seeing each other anymore, and what Thernadier was trying to do, etc.. I found it a very satisfying end. Marius is redeemed, Jean Valjean gets his belated due, Thernardier is sent off to work his malign nature on America. I'm a little concerned that what Jean says about Fantine, and about seeing Cossette for the first time ten years ago might raise some of the same problems in her marriage that Thernadier was trying to raise, but hey, it's over. Yay.

Check our catalog.

Ebook.

DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment