Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Marriage Plot


The Marriage Plot/ Jeffrey Eugenides 406 pgs.

I really wanted to like this book.  After all, it is set in the 80's and features college age characters...surely there will be something here that I recognize!  Plus, this is one of the books from the Morning News Tournament of Books (it is over now but I still feel the need to finish the list) In the end, I could not get into the story or the characters enough to recommend this to anyone.

Madeleine Hanna is an English major.  Mitchell is in love with her but they never really hook up.  Instead she gets involved with the manic/depressive Leonard and thinks she can fix him. I have a low tolerance for stories like this, I guess. People and relationships that are so obviously doomed and way too much chatter.
check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment