Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Book of Drugs

The Book of Drugs by Mike Doughty, 252 pages

Here's what it says in our OPAC: "Recounts the addiction and recovery of the world-renowned solo artist and former lead singer and songwriter of Soul Coughing." I guess that's true, but this memoir is so much more than that. Written as a somewhat rambling stream-of-consciousness confession, The Book of Drugs, yes, covers Doughty's addiction and recovery, but it also gives a brutally honest look at how Doughty's music is and was created, both with the other members of Soul Coughing and on his own now. Given the subject matter, I was surprised at how easy it was to read; perhaps that's because Doughty's writing style is inherently filled with humor and a conversational feel. This is the first "rock star memoir" I've read, and I really enjoyed it. Doesn't mean I'll be reading any others anytime soon, but I'm glad I picked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment