Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Slaughter-House-Five: Kurt Vonnegut

Ahaha! All you other staff members who don't have school and think you're up to your ears in things like grocery lists and laundry must now face the revenge of the high school graduate. That's right. I've been graduated for three days, and I'm already on my second book (hmmph!).

As for the one I just finished. Apparently Slaughter-House-Five is some typical high school novel. I did not know this. Of course, one of my high school friends told me to read it, saying that it would "really make you think."

And so--it did make me think. But not that hard. In the book, Billy Pilgrim flip flops back and forth through time, kind of like the Time Traveler's Wife except Pilgrim gets kidnapped by aliens and taken to a planet where he lives in a zoo with Montana Wildhack under the observation of the Tralfamadorians. So he flip flops between planets too.

The Tralfamadorians see time as a panorama with past, present, and future omnipresent. They don't believe in free will. And apparently pre-birth is infra-red and post-death is ultraviolet. It makes sense in the book.

Fun read. No tear-jerker, and certainly no replacement say for the Dali Lama or Deepak Chopra. But that's nice. It gives a message without religion.

So thumbs up. Read it.

P.S. I ALSO AM NO LONGER ALLOWED TO REPORT IN THE SUMMER READING PROGRAM SO YOU SHOULD REALLY WATCH OUT BECAUSE I HAVE ALL THESE PENT UP BOOK REPORTS JUST WAITING TO BE BLOGGED :O

2 comments:

  1. I love it when someone throws down a challenge. Are you listening Jeff? You too have the summer off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOO!!! You will all beat me! It was a joke! A joke and nothing more! *trembles in her boots*

    ReplyDelete