Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Informant: a true story

The Informant: a true story/Kurt Eichenwald 606 pgs.

This book tells about the events that lead up to the prosecution of ADM executives who were involved in a price fixing scandal. I remember when this was in the news and recently, a movie version was made starring Matt Damon. At times I lost interest in this book but had read so much of it, I didn't want to give up on the sweet page count. The first 150 pgs. were great and the last 150 were too...the middle section kind of lost me. In the end, this is an amazing story resulting in the whistle blower getting a longer sentence than the people he reported! Of course it didn't help that he lost his immunity by forgetting to tell the FBI that he had also stolen $9 million from the company.

This case seems to have led to a lot of other price fixing cases as it sort of became obvious that companies everywhere were doing similar schemes. Although this book was hard to follow at times, I'm glad I stuck with it. If you ever decide to go the whistle blower route, try not to be a crazy liar and you will probably end up better off than Mark Whitacre. - Christa

1 comment:

  1. My son read this when it first came out since it's about the company he works for. He actually knows some of the folks involved. It all happpened before he worked for them.

    ReplyDelete